Tonga

Tonga

Friday, August 20, 2010

Finally!

After a summer of anxiety and frustration, waiting to find out when and where I'm going to be spending the next 27 months of my life, my invitation has finally arrived! I have been assigned to the Kingdom of Tonga as a Business Teacher. Although this is a completely different region from where I was originally nominated for (French-speaking Sub-Saharan Africa) and a different program too (I was originally nominated to a Business Advising program), I couldn't be happier with my invitation. Although I was eagerly looking forward to finding out what African country I would be assigned to, I can't believe my luck at being placed in one of the most beautiful places on Earth. From the day I first started researching the Peace Corps, I had secretly thought that the Pacific Islands would be my dream assignment. It just goes to show that you never know whats around the corner. A couple of days ago I had thought that I would be learning to speak French while living in Africa being a Business Advisor and today I'm going to be a teacher in a secondary school in the Kingdom of Tonga- a country I had never heard of until I went to the peace corps website for the first time back in March. I leave on October 5th and can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment